PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE MESSAGE
THIS IS A REVIEW BELOW OF THE VTEL TEST PREP COURSE
Vocational Technical Teacher Literacy Test Prep (VTEL)
DATES: Saturdays-OCTOBER 14, 21, 28, 2017
TIME: 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
PLACE: Keefe Regional Technical High School
750 Winter Street
Framingham, MA 01702
Participants need to attend all 3 sessions
INSTRUCTOR: Jean Jonker
Taking any standardized test can be difficult, especially if some time has passed since you sat in a classroom and were asked to write an essay. This preparation program will lead you through a review of basic grammar and the mechanics of writing, focusing on the 5-paragraph essay and the development of the responsive essay. Practice with VTEL type questions and scoring rubrics will offer test takers an opportunity to become familiar with the process and gain confidence in the ability to do well on the VTEL. In addition participants will have the opportunity to reduce technology phobia during the three prep sessions since the test is now administered on computer.
VTEL PREP COURSE OUTLINE
This course is a 3-session review of the mechanics of writing, grammar review, and spelling. Emphasis will be on the development of the 5-paragraph persuasive essay and the development of the responsive essay.
Week 1 Saturday OCTOBER 14
· Why do I have to take the VTEL?
· Identifying current needs for writing in the VTEF frameworks
· Review parts of the sentence
· Introduction and modeling of expository writing, specifically the persuasive essay
· Strategies for addressing open-response questions
· ABCD writing method template and application
· Introduce scoring rubrics for essay
· Assignment, answer VTEL style question using ABCD method with template
Week 2 Saturday OCTOBER 21
· Review assignment – · Use of phrases and clauses
· Introduction and modeling of the responsive essay
· Assignment, answer VTEL style question requiring a responsive essay
Week 3 Saturday OCTOBER 28
· Review assignment – grade via rubric
· Review grammar rules and mechanics of writing
· MTEL style test
· Grading of MTEL style test
Payment: MUST BE RECEIVED IN ADVANCE
Click on "REGISTER"
Complete requested information on page one
Click "PROCEED TO PAYMENT"
You will have two options,
CLICK: continue if paying by credit card
CLICK PAY OFFLINE: send a check or school purchase order made out to "MAVA" for $190 to Peter Dewar, c/o Tri-County Regional, 147 Pond St., Franklin, MA 02038
In the event of inclement weather that necceitates a cancellation of a session you will be contacted via email and a reschedule date will be announced.
A request to cancel a registration must be received by Peter Dewar (email@example.com) at least one week prior to the first class in order to receive full reimbursement. After that date the full cost will be charged.
VTEL TEST REGISTRATION
Make sure you are registering for the vocational teacher literacy test (VTEL) NOT (MTEL) Registration: www.mtel.nesinc.com
FMI Contact Peter D. Dewar, MAVA Director of Professional Development, firstname.lastname@example.org